Friday, February 5, 2010

Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me

Just a few weeks ago, the ALA announced its award winners including the Newbery Award. When I read the announcement, I immediately opened the school library’s catalog to see if we already owned the book. After finding the book on our shelves, I excitedly read the summary and cover flap. I was confused. I was disappointed. I couldn’t figure out why this book had won the award.

The summary of this book reads, “As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1970s television game show, “The $20,000 Pyramid”, a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.” In other words, a young girl receives mysterious notes and can’t figure out from where or when they originate.

This summary was not a summary of a book deserving of the Newbery Award!

A few days later I talked to another librarian in the district about the award winners and told her of my experience with Rebecca Stead’s When You Reach Me. She agreed with me. So, I read the book and, now, I take back every negative thought I had about this book.

What I loved about this book most was the fact that I didn’t figure out the ending. You’ll think you know when and where the notes originate, but you won’t. For me, it was a complete surprise!

*************************************************
Learn more about the Newbery Award and other book awards at http://www.ala.org/ala/awardsgrants/index.cfm

Learn more about Rebecca Stead: http://www.rebeccasteadbooks.com/

Read another review of the book on the SLJ Blog Fuse #8: http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/blog/1790000379/post/760043876.html

1 comment:

  1. It's kind of like judging a book by its cover...but judging it by the summary instead. From reading the summary, I wouldn't think of it as award winning but I am intrigued to read it now.

    ReplyDelete