Monday, April 5, 2010

The E.N.D.

THE E.N.D. by the Black Eyed Peas

I admit I am a Black Eyed Peas fan. I have been for a number of years. I became a fan because they make the best music to listen to when walking or exercising. Nine times out of ten, I walk while listening to Monkey Business and Elephunk. Last year, when THE E.N.D. was released, I immediately purchased it. I listened to the cd once and quickly lost it. It obviously was not a huge lost to me since I didn’t purchase it again (until this past week). When I first listened to it last year, I remember thinking, “What did they do?” and “What were they thinking?” I was not a fan.

While viewing Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2010 web site, I was surprised, and a bit concerned, to see the Black Eyed Peas as the Favorite Music Group. Their newest cd is titled The E.N.D. E.N.D. means the Energy Never Dies, and the music definitely reflects this characterization. The best term to describe their new album is futuristic, but reminds me of my “clubbing” days in the 1990s with its techno sound.

Parents may have some concerns about their tweens listening to this cd. One concern that parents may have is the use of expletives in many songs. Additionally, some songs reference taboo subjects such as the lyric in “Imma Be”: Imma be, f#@kin her… Imma be ya banker loading out semen. However, other songs such as “One Tribe” present themes of acceptance, unity and peace.

After reading the lyrics and listening to the songs, this album is not a literary or musical masterpiece. However, the music is a bit addictive and the rhythms keep you moving. It’s a departure from the comfortable and familiar sound of Monkey Business. However, now that I’ve listened to some of the songs on the radio for the past year, THE E.N.D. has grown on me. I still prefer the more-grounded sounds of Monkey Business, but the new album is slowly becoming a staple on my iPod’s “Walking” playlist.

Links:

Check out Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards 2010 web site at http://www.nick.com/kids-choice-awards/

Learn more about the Black Eyed Peas at http://www.blackeyedpeas.com/

Another review of the THE E.N.D.: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/06/album-review-black-eyed-peas-the-end.html

No comments:

Post a Comment